What You Should Know About Fireworks Safety
Here are a few tips to keep you safe while having fun with fireworks this season.
Consumer Product Safety Commission and the National Council on Fireworks Safety offer the following safety tips:
• Always read and follow label directions.
• Always have an adult present.
• Only buy fireworks from reliable sellers.
• Use fireworks outdoors only.
• Always have water handy (a garden hose and a bucket).
• Never experiment or make your own fireworks.
• Light only one firework at a time.
• Never re-light a "dud" firework (wait 15 to 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water).
• Never give fireworks to small children.
• If necessary, store fireworks in a cool, dry place.
• Never throw or point fireworks at other people.
• Never carry fireworks in your pocket.
• Never shoot fireworks in metal or glass containers.
• The shooter should always wear eye protection and never have any part of the body over the firework.
• Stay away from illegal explosives and illegal fireworks.